Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Delta-Life Moments - Fulfilling My Destiny

"Congratulations! Finally, the 12A batch has been completed. Welcome to KEM!"

Congratulations, hugs and momentous cheering filled the evening air as the Special Final Rites ended. Why special? Because it was held only for those who were not able to attend the actual Final Rites.

Now, I am bound under oath to not speak of what happened during the actual ceremony, but that is not exactly the point of this post in the first place.

November 19, at around 9:30 pm, I am finally a member of UP KEM.

UP KEM houses a really diverse group of people But no matter how diverse we are, we are united as one, as a family. And this is why I love this organization so much. No matter how you may seem different, you are still part of it.

And being a part of a family, you must definitely do your part in it.

For my first ever year in college, I take part, not just as an audience, in one of the noisiest events during the annual Engineering Week, the Smoker Night. It was an event like no other, I can promise you that. I can't exactly describe it in words, you have to experience it first hand to fully grasp what it is. The closest I can give to a description is the actual description of it by the Student Council.

A night event that features sixteen (16) Engineering-based organizations that will strut their stuff to prove that our country's future engineers are not only good in numbers but also have a good eye in discussing socially-relevant issues through the representation of the different departments in the Philippines in an exquisite theater production.
Note the use of the word 'exquisite', it is misleading to say the least.

To further reinforce my statement, these are just some of the things I've witnessed/done during the night: perform topless in front of most of the affiliated engineering students, act gay for your close friend in front of the same audience, people drunk performing on stage, the star of the performance is a huge penis, the crowd filling the air with curses and middle fingers, and that's just the beginning.

Now, do I regret being part of this so-called tradition? Definitely not. Will I ever take part in it again? You can bet on it.

A/N: Note, this series of events for my 10 day Delta-Life Moments Challenge is not strictly chronological. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment