Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Delta-Life Moments - I Wanna Be The Very Best

I was 7 years old then.

It was a few days after Christmas. I woke up to a huge box in the living room. I was soon to find out that those were some gifts from our relatives in the States. And what was inside that box would soon change the very person I am.




As a kid, I still get toys as much as I can for Christmas and my birthday. This Christmas is no different. What I got was another box, a square one to be exact. It was yellow all throughout except for the gray rectangle to the left side with the words "GAME BOY" in blue. In the middle, a picture of a yellow mouse with sparks coming out. On top of it, the words "Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition" were written. In more words than one, it looked a little like this:




Being the naive little kid I was, I opened it immediately. I found a cartridge colored yellow with a label the same as the one in the cover of the box. There was also a booklet that dropped. For a while, I was wondering how in the world would I play with this thing? At that very moment, my question would be answered.



Apparently there was another box for me. As I opened it, it contained this little thing popped up.

The very first member of the Nintendo Gameboy family, the Gameboy Pocket.

And this marked the very start of the countless days staying at home playing, hundreds of AAA batteries used up, numerous nights I stayed up just to play and so much more memories.



Of course, knowing the Pokemon franchise, it did nothing but grow. The next game in the series I got was Pokemon Gold. After that, my Gameboy Pocket flashed it's final lights. And yes, I gave it a proper burial and it's still in our garage, buried. Other than that, I've started to watch every episode of the anime series. I was so addicted to the point that I should be at home and should be holding the remote to the television by 7:15 pm everyday so I can reserve the 30 mins of air time by 7:30.

From then, I found myself playing all the versions at least thrice completely, although on the computer using an emulator. Eventually though, I got a Gameboy Advance SP, but I was not able to get as much Pokemon games as I liked. The anime, I still continued to watch until it stopped airing. Plus a little extra, I downloaded every movie they had. Heh.

And now, I'm here, still playing those games like there's no tomorrow, well, not really. Although ever since the DS games came up, I was not exactly able to keep up. I still haven't finished Pokemon Black/White, and Black/White 2 has already been released. Heck, rumors of a 6th Generation for the 3DS are already popping up.

The anime series have also caught up on me. Cartoon Network started airing them again, but I haven't caught on. Downloads are taking too long so I can't watch everything. The movies have also caught up on me. I can't find good download sources as much as I did for the previous movies. Usually, they only come up weeks, or even months after the original airing.

But even with all these, the passion I have for the franchise is still burning hot. Pokemon has always and will forever be a part of my life. And I will not stop until I become the World's Greatest Pokemon Master.

1 comment: